The carpets give homes a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Unfortunately, they attract all sorts of stains and debris that a regular vacuum simply can not get out. A quality carpet cleaner can remove stains and leave you with clean, fresher carpets.
Cleaning your carpet can be a tough task at times.
Depending on what sort of trash, spillage, or some other organic matter you’ve managed to spread all over your carpet, the process of getting that horrid deed (or rather, a series of horrid deeds) undone can be a pretty challenging one, indeed.
Take wine stains, for example.
Just a simple bucket of warm water and a brush won’t really cut it now, will it?
Editor’s Picks: Top 5 Best Carpet Cleaner Machine
In this article, we’re going to talk about one of the best inventions in the department of household cleanliness the Carpet cleaner Machine. These elaborate contraptions utilize the power of water heated to the boiling point, and various combinations of brushes, scrubs, bleach-like chemicals, and scented waters to turn a stain-infested carpeted area into a soft, clean as a whistle walking surface that also smells like flowers in the spring, for good measure!
To enable you to pick and choose to your heart’s content the optimal steam-cleaning contraption for your needs, we’ve brought on board 10 of the best Carpet shampooer currently available on the market. Each of these has its pros and cons, of course, but whichever you decide to go for at the end of the day, you can rest assured it will be able to a cleaning job well.
Right then, without further ado, here are the lot folks!
Top 10 Best Carpet Cleaning Machines Reviews
1. Bissell Spot Clean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner Review
Coming from a company that’s managed to build quite a reputation for itself over the years it’s been in business, this portable carpet cleaner from Bissell is a mighty cleaning apparatus capable of delivering quite a cleansing punch to an unsuspecting besoilt carpet, so to speak!
Although in its name it says that this steam cleaner tackles carpets, it’s also perfectly capable of cleaning other surfaces such as upholstery, those little mats you put on stairs, and so on and so forth. The way this little fella gets its power is via a power cord that, of course, comes built in its wee body. As far as its length is concerned, you’ll get 22 inches to work with.
If you add to that the length of the hose which comes at some 4 feet, you’ll see that there’s plenty of elasticity there to work with.
- Large tank capacity of a ¾ gallon
- Comes with different cleaning formulas
- Features separate stair tools allowing you even more reach
- Capable of tackling a wide variety of stains
- 2-year limited warranty
- The hose can crack sometimes, but the customer service will take care of that
- A bit on the heavier side
2. Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer Review
If you’re looking for a powerful tool for cleaning your carpet, perhaps this bulky solution from Hoover can be just the product for you. Other than utilizing steam, it also uses powerful chemical solutions to tackle some of the toughest stains and smudges that can be found sitting ugly in your beloved rug!
The main cleansing weapon this chunky contraption utilizes in its fight to get you rid of dust, stains, mite, dog excrement, and other impurities would be the system of tough spinning scrub brushes. There are five of them and between themselves, they spin at 360°, so you have optimal coverage.
Thanks to its cleverly shaped dual V nozzle, this Hoover steam carpet cleaner offers even suction. That is, the entire patch you go over is covered in equal amounts. When it comes to the other parts that make up this apparatus, count in the water tank, another tank for the Automix solution, a switch to trigger the water solution, as well as a hole designated for the detachable hose.
- 5 powerful, evenly-distributed 360° brushes
- A crevice tool
- A stair tool
- A special tool for upholstery
- Lightweight design
- The turbine can start rusting quite quickly
- The customer service can take a while to fix a problem
3. Bissell Pro Heat Pet Pro Carpet Shampooer Review
As our entry number 8, we’ve got a powerful Bissell carpet cleaner specifically aimed at tackling pet-related mishaps, so to speak. Every aspect of this apparatus has been developed to increase the cleaning efficiency of urine and feces stains on your carpet. Perfect for pet owners, so here’s the deal:
The main components you get in this contraption that are an essential part of the cleaning arrangement comprise a professional pet urine eliminator, an Oxy formula, a specialized 2-in-1 upholstery tool, an EZ brush roll cover, as well as a clean shot pre-treater.
Out of these, arguably the most interesting one would be the pet upholstery tool which removes pet hairs, stains, and different odors from your upholstery. Since pets tend to do the most ‘damage’ to your rugs, carpets, and upholstered furniture, this particular option can be a great way to tackle these.
- Perfect for tackling pet messes and stains
- The treated carpets can dry in about an hour
- Comes with a professional pet urine eliminator formula
- Features an additional antibacterial pet stain & odor formula
- Doesn’t come with a heater
- On the ‘deep clean’ setting it lets out too much water
4. Hoover Power Dash Carpet Pet Cleaner Review
The name says it all, doesn’t it? For folks who have pets in their apartments or houses, this particular carpet shampooer would certainly be one of the best options currently on the market. Its tough brush combined with some powerful chemicals can get rid of even the most stubborn pet-produced messes.
The great thing about this product, especially if you live in a small house or apartment, is that it’s quite compact and lightweight, so you won’t have to spare too much space for storing it when not in use. It can comfortably fit in an average-sized closet, or otherwise, if you don’t want it to take space in a closet, just placing it in a corner of a room will also do the trick.
To tackle the stains, and the messes your pets come up with, this Hoover carpet cleaner comes with a brush roll which offers a thorough cleaning of your carpet no matter how sizeable the mess in question is. Another useful feature would be the heater which dries off the freshly cleaned carpet area relatively quickly, so you won’t have to wait for hours until you can walk on that particular spot.
- A compact and lightweight design
- Dries off treated areas quickly thanks to its powerful Heat Force heater
- Comes with a powerful brush
- The removable nozzle allows you to quickly dispose of the dirt
- Features a dual tank design
- Not really a perfect solution for larger areas
- The water tank can be tough to clean at times
5. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner Review
Assuming the shape of a cube with a hose sticking out of it, this Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner is a multipurpose steam-cleaning device that can clean, disinfect, sanitize, deodorize and otherwise remove stains from your carpet quickly and easily.
To do its carpet-cleansing magic, this cleaner uses superheated steam that breaks down the dirt in the carpet and thus enables this device to pick it up. The temperature of the steam itself reaches up to 275° Fahrenheit, so you need to take precautions while using it not to scald yourself.
- Gives you up to 50 minutes of cleaning time per filling
- 3-year warranty
- Kills off 99.9% of all bacteria and viruses
- Lifetime warranty on the steam cleaner boiler
- It takes 20 minutes to refill the tank
- The hose gets very hot after prolonged use
6. McCulloh Heavy Duty Steam Cleaner Review
Rocking a design that reminds one of the Volkswagen Beatle and a host of accessories for a wide variety of cleaning purposes, this McCulloh heavy duty steam cleaner is perhaps the most versatile product on this list. You can use it to clean floors, windows, cars, appliances as well as other surfaces in need of a good steam-enhances scrub!
The main difference between this product and the others on this list would be the fact that this steam cleaner doesn’t use any chemical formulas and solutions to achieve the cleansing effect. The only thing utilized for this purpose is pressurized steam and nothing else.
Other than this, the second point of differentiation we mentioned already would be the staggering number of accessories it comes with. Namely, you can use this appliance in 18 different ways thanks to its 18 attachments that come as part of this offer! There are floor mops, mop pads, squeegees, brass brushes, nylon brushes, you name it and it’s there pretty much!
- A large capacity tank
- Comes with 18 different cleaning accessories
- Features a long 15.7-foot power cord
- 2-year warranty
- A pretty long 8-minute heat-up time
- Built to suit only the US voltage requirements
7. Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner Review
This machine is quite big, let’s get that out of the way. But it’s not just a clunky empty shell, of course, it’s far from that. What it does is uses the professional-grade brushes and a powerful heater to quickly and efficiently tackle stubborn stains out of your carpet.
When the brushes onboard are in question, this machine uses powerful dual cross action brushes that ensure this machine gets to every nook ‘n’ cranny of your carpet and cleans all the dirt and impurities thoroughly.
The tank capacity on this cleaner is 1 gallon, so you won’t really have to refill it all too often. This makes it a perfect choice for people who have large apartments or houses or otherwise are too lazy to refill the tank every twenty minutes.
- Comes with a separate upholstery tool
- A large 1-gallon tank
- Dual cross action brushes
- Features a removable tool caddy
- A bit large, so may not be perfect for small areas
- The brush area that sucks the dirt is not removable, so it can be tough to wash after use
8. Bissell Big Green Professional Carpet Cleaner Review
Another product from Bissell on this list comes in the shape of this cheekily-named steam-based carpet cleaner. ‘The Big Green Professional Carpet Cleaner Machine’ name pretty much perfectly explains what this machine actually looks like and what it does. (Although, not all of its parts are green, only the front part and some of the joints, really.) Here are some of its other features, though:
As its main weapon o’ choice for tackling dirt, spillage stains, and other sorts of impurities that tend to make a home for themselves in your carpet after a while, this cleaner machine uses a powerful and extra-large brush that allows it to penetrate deep into the fibers of your carpet and thus clean it thoroughly every time.
Since it also uses steam to soften these fibers and so facilitate the cleaning process, the folks at Bissell have also decided to put in place a small motor that gives it some powerful suction properties. In this way, the moisturized area of your carpet can be dried off quickly after the cleaning has been completed.
To ensure the protection on the part of the customer, the Bissell company offers a rather generous 5-year warranty on this product, so you don’t really need to worry about spare parts in case something breaks along the line.
- A powerful brush that penetrates deep into the carpet fibers
- Comes with two large tanks that enable you to clean an entire room in a single go
- Features a strong professionally-made cleaning formula
- 5-year warranty
- The flow indicator can start leaking
- It’s a bit clunky (perhaps not the best option for small apartments)
9. Hoover Power Scrub Elite Carpet Cleaner Review
If you’re on the lookout for a simple and powerful machine that can help you get rid of dirt from your carpet quickly and easily, this Hoover power scrub elite machine can be a great solution. Since it also comes with a specialized Cleanplus concentrated solution, you can rest assured that your carpet will get a thorough treatment every time you use it.
One of its main features is the quick clean mode which allows you to give your carpet a quick and thorough cleaning in a matter of minutes. Once you’re done, you’d have to wait another 45 minutes for the whole thing to dry off, of course, but after that, you’re pretty much good to go.
For those of you who own pets, this particular tool can also be quite useful as it comes with a special 2-in-1 antimicrobial pet tool. You can use the bristle inserts to tackle particularly tough instances of pets soiling your carpet and the rubber nub can come in handy for removing lighter stains.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Comes with large capacity water tanks
- Features a 2-in-1 antimicrobial pet tool
- A powerful Cleanplus concentrated solution included
- Takes some precleaning for best results
- It can leak at the back sometimes
10. Bissell Deep Clean Deluxe Pet Carpet Cleaner Review
Coming at the last but certainly not least spot on this list, we’ve got another product from the world-renown Bissell company. Similar to the last product from the Hoover company, this Deep Clean Deluxe model from Bissell is also mainly a pet-oriented cleaning product, so if you’re a pet owner, you may want to pay some special attention to this entry.
To ensure the stains are tackled powerfully and precisely, this model comes complete with a specialized innovative Cleanshot Trigger. Also, once the cleaning process has been completed, you can see how much of the pet hair has been sucked in by removing the pet hair collection basket. This is also how you clean it after use, by the way.
- Comes with a special stain trapper tool
- Clean Shot Pretreater included in the deal
- Features powerful Heat Wave technology
- Special pet hair collection basket
- It can be tough to steer in cooped-up areas
- Doesn’t come with an instruction sheet
How To Choose A Best Carpet Cleaner Machine
It can be incredibly difficult to choose a carpet cleaner and not regret it weeks or months down the road when a new one comes along that you think is better than the one you currently have.
While the technology involving carpet cleaners does change, it is possible to acquire a carpet cleaner that you can keep for a very long time.
It is important to possess a carpet cleaner for a very long time because carpet cleaners cost a lot of money and can take some getting used to.
If you can rely on the same carpet cleaner for a significant amount of time, you’ll be able to save a lot of money and effort.
You’ll also have peace of mind. If you encounter a stain on your carpet, you’ll be able to use the carpet cleaner that you have carefully picked out without any trouble at all.
Knowing how to systematically remove stains from your carpet is also an extremely valuable skill that you’ll want to possess no matter what kind of carpet cleaner you own. This will be explored later.
Buying Guide For Best Carpet Cleaner Machine
Something that virtually nobody does when selecting a carpet cleaner is come up with a buying guide that allows them to buy a carpet cleaner that is optimal for their carpets.
What most people do when selecting a carpet cleaner is only focus on one or two things. If you are looking for a carpet cleaner that will provide optimal cleaning for your carpets, you need to be aware of a few more things.
Selecting an optimal carpet cleaner starts with having an optimal guide for selecting a carpet cleaner. When you consider these things, you’ll be able to select a carpet cleaner that you will be happy with for a very long time.
1. How Much Carpet Do You Need To Clean?
A carpet cleaner that is optimal for a one-bedroom apartment is much different than a carpet cleaner for a four bedroom townhome with multiple floors.
As unfortunate as it may be, there is no “all purpose” carpet cleaner that is perfect for any kind of home setting. Although some commonalities do exist, you’ll want to draw distinctions between a carpet cleaner that can clean a small area and one that will clean a large area.
While this is probably the most common factor that most consider when anybody considers a carpet cleaner, people are far too general when they ask themselves “how much carpet do I need to clean?”
In order to be in possession of an optimal carpet cleaner that you can use for a very long time, you’ll want to be very specific even with the question of how much carpet you need to clean. The other factors on this list will build off of the question of how much carpet you need to clean.
2. What Kind Of Features Do You Need?
The concept of a carpet cleaner seems simple enough: It’s nothing more than a device that cleans carpets. What else is there to think about when it comes to features? Wouldn’t it be a better idea to just get a carpet cleaner with the most features, this way you can pick and choose?
When we talk about “features,” we are usually referring to things such as the tanks for hot water and solution as well as attachments. There are different demands for different kinds of features, and these all depend on how much carpet needs to be cleaned.
If you need to clean a large area of carpet, you’ll probably want a separate tank for the water and for the solution. If they both share the same tank, you’ll be replacing it a lot. You’ll also know how to mix the two liquids. But if they are separate, you won’t need to worry about mixing water and solution and you’ll also be able to clean for a lot longer.
When it comes to attachments, you need to ask if you want your carpet cleaner to double as a standard vacuum cleaner. Attachments are generally used for cleaning smaller areas that cannot be reached with traditional means, such as for cleaning upholstery or stairs.
If you want a clean machine that also works as a vacuum cleaner. You’ll also need to understand that those kinds of machines cost more and are much bigger than carpet cleaners that do not have vacuuming properties.
3. How Strong Do You Need The Cleaner To Be?
How deep the cleaner can reach through the carpet is also something that you should consider. Remember that there is really no “all purpose” carpet cleaner where you can set how deep they can clean.
And if there are carpet cleaners that have those kinds of settings, prepare to spend a lot of money. If there exist carpet cleaners that have those kinds of settings, they are probably extremely rare and in a lot of cases, not necessary.
If you deal with pet stains, you’ll likely need a very powerful carpet cleaner. Pet stains contain a lot of acids and other kinds of chemicals that can permanently damage a carpet and using a powerful carpet cleaner will not only remove the stains but also restore the carpet somewhat.
A powerful carpet cleaner will also work wonders on spills. If you encounter a lot of spills, you’ll probably want a strong carpet cleaner.
Let these two examples function as a measuring stick of sorts to determine how strong you need the carpet cleaner to be. But there’s something else that determines this as well.
4. What Kind Of Traffic Does Your Carpet Encounter On A Regular Basis?
This is another question that will determine what kind of carpet cleaner you will need.
Although it may seem obvious that the more traffic a carpet encounters, the more powerful the carpet cleaner needs to be, it is not that simple.
It isn’t about the amount of traffic your carpet encounters, but what kind. Some carpets may encounter a lot of traffic, but this traffic might not involve a lot of dirt and may not call for a powerful carpet cleaner.
But some other carpets might not encounter a lot of traffic, but if it does encounter traffic from a lot of dirty sources, like very dirty footwear or pets or something like that, you will probably need a stronger carpet cleaner.
Here is a quick rundown of the proper carpet cleaners for each situation.
Carpets that encounter very little traffic from sources that are not very dirty obviously would not require a powerful carpet cleaner. This cleaner does not need to be designed for long term use either.
The exact opposite is true if your carpet receives constant traffic from dirty sources. In these cases, you’ll need a very powerful carpet cleaner that is built for long term, continuous use.
But what if your carpet receives a lot of traffic, but from sources that are generally harmless? What kind of carpet cleaner would be optimal for that? In that case, you can use a cleaner of any strength, but make sure it is designed for continuous use.
Carpet cleaners that are designed for continuous use would be a little less than optimal for carpets that do not encounter a lot of traffic but have very dirty sources of traffic. For that situation, you’ll want a powerful carpet cleaner.
Does Anyone In Your Home Have Respiratory Conditions?
Some carpet cleaners, especially the stronger ones, will emit fumes when being operated. These fumes need to be vented, and opening a window in your home may not be enough to vent these fumes out if somebody in your home has a respiratory condition.
Because the technology surrounding carpet cleaners is getting better, carpet cleaners that do not cause these kinds of fumes are beginning to emerge. If you or somebody in your home has a respiratory condition, you’ll want to seek out carpet cleaners that do not give off these fumes, even if it means spending a little more money.
Are these fumes harmless for those with respiratory conditions? Like anything that appears harmless, they eventually get more and more dangerous. You might be able to get away with a few sessions, but over time, the fumes will get very dangerous.
Frequently Asked Questions On Best Carpet Cleaner Machine
Q: What is the best way to clean a carpet?
- Ans: A lot of people make the mistake of scrubbing a carpet to clean it. This is a mistake. If you scrub a carpet, you’ll risk ruining the carpet fibers and possibly the carpet pad. If you are removing stains, start from the outside of the stain then work your way in. If you are cleaning an entire carpet with a cleaner, make sure you are using the proper combination of water and solution.
Q: How often should a carpet be cleaned?
- Ans: The answer to this question depends on a few factors: The traffic that the carpet encounters and how dirty the sources of traffic are. If your carpet does not encounter a lot of traffic, you should probably clean it every 18 months. The cleaner does not need to be too powerful, it just needs to be powerful enough to get out light stains. If your carpet does encounter a lot of traffic, you’ll either need to clean it every 12 months with a cleaner that is either really powerful if the traffic involves a lot of dirt or with a cleaner that is not very powerful if the traffic does not provide a lot of dirt.
Q: How can I deep clean my carpet myself?
- Ans: Although this is not very recommended, it is possible. If you want to deep clean a carpet yourself, you’ll need to resist the temptation to get the carpet too wet. If the carpet is too wet, the carpet pads underneath will be affected and this could affect the foundation of your floor. To address this, make sure your cleaner has enough vacuum power to let the carpet dry out within 12 or so hours.
Q: How can I disinfect my carpet without bleach?
- Ans: While bleach is a very effective disinfectant for a carpet, it isn’t the only disinfectant. You can use white vinegar, which will help for carpet stains that are water soluble, or you can use ammonia for carpet stains that have higher amounts of carbon because of their pigments. Using these not will not only clean the stain but will also disinfect it. When using these substances, err on the side of using too little then working from there. If you use too many of these substances, you’ll run the risk of creating an even bigger stain on the carpet.
Q: How do you clean a dirty carpet by hand?
- Ans: A mistake people make when doing this, especially with liquid based stain, is to scrub it. Resist the temptation to scrub any kind of carpet. You’ll damage the fibers and in some cases, the foundation. Instead, use small but quick blots, slowly working your way on the inside of the carpet.
How To Remove A Stain From A Carpet
- Carpet stains will not only affect how a carpet looks, but they can also affect the foundation of not only your carpet but your floor.
- When you encounter a stain on your carpet, you need to do all you can to remove it. If you do not, the long term effects can be disastrous.
- Not all carpet stains are the same. There are different procedures for removing different stains, and many who clean stains do not understand these differences, and that can lead to not only the stain remaining uncleaned, but can also create a bigger stain that can have a worse effect.
- There is one way to clean stains that you need to resist doing, and it is probably the most common way that people use to clean stains. And that is to scrub. Never scrub down a stain. If you do, you’ll damage the carpet fibers and you’ll damage the foundation of the carpet if you scrub.
- Cleaning any carpet stain is not done by scrubbing. It is done by blotting. Don’t forget that carpet is an absorbent material, so you’ll need to clean the stains with something that is equally absorbent. In many cases, a dishcloth will do.
- When you clean any carpet stain, you’ll want to work from the outside in. if you begin cleaning from the inside of the stain, you’ll let the outer portions of the stain work their way into the carpet, permanently damaging it.
- Probably the most common carpet stains come from substances that are liquid soluble. Examples of these are soda or mud. For stains like these, you can combine ¼ teaspoon of white vinegar with 32 ounces of water and create a solution from that which will remove stains.
- Other carpet stains are from substances that are also water soluble, but have higher amounts of certain substances to maintain certain pigments. Examples of these are mustard or coffee. For these, combine 1 tablespoon of ammonia with 1 cup of water to make a solution for that.
All in all, getting your carpet as clean as a whistle every now and again is a chore that shouldn’t by any means be omitted, no matter how boring it is. A dirty carpet can house all sorts of harmful microbes, dust, pet hair, and other sorts of impurities, so cleaning it is important not only to enhance its looks but also for the sake of your family’s health, as well. Hope you found this list helpful, and we wish you a hassle-free purchase!